Sunday 11 July 2010

One-On-One




ONE

Dear diary, I am reading Hamlet again
I met with a mad woman, she drank iced coffee,
I had iced tea, who, when asked about madness
in the play said she saw herself as Fortinbras

Dear diary, how can I put into words
what I have seen these past weeks?
The murder of the Aztecs by Cortes - a drag queen!
And all the birds fell out of the sky above America

Dear diary, what can I tell you about the dinner
with the literary circle? The opera house in the jungle?
The poet and his lover? Berlin, you keeper of secrets,
you destroyer, you surreal dream - I lit your fireworks,
I powered your televisions and installed your satellite dish

TWO

Do you know what I did in a room today, by myself?
Do you know how I felt when she showed me her breasts
and wrote me a letter? What did I feel, dear diary
when I met the artist I have admired for so long and spoke to him

and watched his hair move and his nails and his studded boots
as he confessed that he had kissed a male audience member
in his show once, and his barely legal girlfriend was shocked
"Are you all my boyfriend?"

THREE

Dear diary, Berlin and London are one suddenly, and Gent,
Dear diary, will we speak of the heat in decades to come
and say, "do you recall the heat of 2010?"
"The sky was worn upside down by the earth", we will say

"There was no shame, no safe-guards, no holding back, only intimacy
between strangers", as the man in the audience
kisses the girl in the play who is pretending to be his date
while his girlfriend waits for him downstairs

FOUR

Put your tongues away! Hold your tongues!
It was 2010
It was so hot, the cement in the middle of the road
turned to water

And your eyes, so sharp and cold and human
turned to look at me,
and became something else,
i


.../written in July, edited in November

2 comments:

  1. This was so so lovely. Especially when I read it aloud. More people should read aloud. More people should read this aloud.

    My word verification was "inticali."

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am grateful that you read it aloud x

    ReplyDelete